Followers

23 February 2010

How to save the world in 7 steps


Face it, email is a central part of your life. Indeed, life as we know it would end should all email servers die simultaneously. The Earth would even stop rotating on its axis. Probably anyway. Consequently, it is your civic duty, nay, your moral obligation to understand and abide by proper email checking technique. Fortunately, I have provided you with a foolproof checklist.

1. Log in to e-mail account or open email program such as MS Outlook or Eudora

2. Look for that one email you’ve been anxiously anticipating

3. Disappointedly peruse the subject lines of emails you did receive

4. Empty the spam folder after checking for wayward legitimate correspondence among the offers to collect your personal information in exchange for millions in unclaimed inheritance and advertisements to enhance your… ahem, personal life in some very specific ways

5. Read the remaining unopened emails

6. Run any suspect emails by Snopes.com

7. Repeat steps 1-6 as necessary

Many individuals inappropriately skip the very important step 6. As a result they fall for email scams or forward on amazing stories or unbelievable deals that turn out to be nothing more than internet rumors or worse. Fortunately, now that you have the complete approved checklist you can help break the chain simply by navigating to www.snopes.com and typing a few key words into their search engine.

Additionally, if you are bored or just curious you can always peruse the snopes.com archives and will likely learn that a few things you have believed for years turn out to be entirely false.

Snopes.com works for me.

----------------------

This article is linked at www.wearethatfamily.com

7 comments:

Leslie said...

I have heard Snopes is a fascinating website. I just might have to mosey over there and check it out.

Ally said...

Great tips! I have never checked out snopes.com but now I'm going to check it out! Thanks for sharing!

Kelly Miller said...

This is hilarious! I get so many email forwards that are obviously hoaxes, but the people forwarding them don't have the benefit of 15 years of email experience.

Really awesome tip. :)

No I wasn't Sleeping said...

Okay, i have to admit that I am one that has been emailing for 15 years, and ihave never checked out snopes.
I am glad there wasn't a quiz at the end. I might not have been able to eventell you what they did, despite having at least heard of them.

MommaSue said...

wow nice. i'll have to check that out

Elle said...

Just stumbled on your site. I love snopes. I wish everyone did. It would save me time from having to read their craptastic scare emails about how I'm going to get raped when I pump gas. Seriously. Your blog cracks me up. Thanks for the laugh...I'm gonna follow ya.

feywriter said...

Good to know I'm not the only one who Snopes all those forwards. Good advice!

Interconnects

Related Posts with Thumbnails